Monday, July 16, 2012

Day 1: Half Marathon Training

Okay, so technically it's Day 2: Half Marathon Training, but day 1 was REST!!, so does that really count as a training day? Oh, and technically, the race is 14 weeks away and my training program is a 12 week program, but I wanted to get an early start, so I decided to start with the Week 1 workout. Today's workout was 3 miles/30 minutes (whichever comes first). I can usually run about a 9 minute pace, so I when my alarm went off at 6am this morning, I thought, 3 miles, easy peasy, I'll just run it with the stroller when A wakes up from her first nap.
So that's what we did, except that by 10am, the sun was BEATING down and the temperature was up to 83 (felt like 88). So, we only made it 1.15 miles, an our pace was definitely not 9 minutes. It's alot harder to push a stroller (one that claims to be a jogging stroller by the way) especially when its so humid outside. Lesson of the day: When your alarm goes off at 6am, Get Out of Bed NOW, and do not the comfiness of your bed outweigh the benefits of running early in the morning. Seriously! I could have ran in 74 degree weather, with no sun or stroller.
So about this stroller, we LOVED it! It's a Britax B-Agile in black. Seriously, the best stroller ever for walking and running errands. It folds up super easily, it works with Britax carseats (you can buy adapters for other carseats too), which is awesome for a baby that fell asleep in the car on the way to the destination. Anyways, since we have to get a jogging stroller (I'm talking a real one this time) now that I'm training for the half marathon, we are selling this one for $150 or best offer. So all in all, my morning run was a disaster, but not a waste by any means, I learned alot: Wake up at 6am, get a better stroller, and avoid the direct sun. Since the heat doesn't calm down until after dark here, I will be forced to complete my training indoors today on the treadmill. If you know me, you know that I HATE the treadmill. So you can guarantee that I will be out of bed by 6am for my next run on Wednesday (because tomorrow is a cross training day). I will win, I will not let the sun and unbearable Ohio summer get the best of me and my half marathon.

1 comment:

  1. You know I am going to love a mommy running blog! We have a Baby Trend jogging stroller. The reviews online weren't great, but we ended up loving ours. Several friends found it to be right on, too! It's much more affordable than other options, and it's lasted us over three years now.

    ReplyDelete